HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - High Fence vs. Free Range Hunts
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 07:03 AM
tatonka
Fork Horn

Many very good points have been brought up here. Hunting is defined differently by different people. For the vast majority, a high fence operation isn't appealing or considered hunting. I personally would not be interested and if I ever did (not going to happen) I'd feel pretty foolish posting photos of a buck I killed.

Most all of the Red Stag you see killed in New Zealand are taken on High Fence hunts. Some are free range, but not many. I'd love to see New Zealand and hunt a Red Stag, but the cost, sitting on a plane for upteen hours, and not being able to bring the meat home is a deal breaker for me.

I'm still on the fence (no pun intended) on farms and ranches that plant food plots, keep everyone out except for family, close friends, etc. I realize that the deer aren't fenced in and can leave whenever they want to, but if they have all the food they need, the cover, and are not pressured why would they leave? In my mind this is not all that different than a high fence operation. But that's me.

With my hard earned money (the little that I have), if I spend money on a hunt it's going to be for something up north. I love the Canadian wilderness. I love the moose, caribou, etc. I'll never be able to afford a sheep hunt and quite frankly, I'm too old to tackle those mountains but it would be the experience of a lifetime. I've been fortunate to hunt moose and caribou and both trips were fantastic.. In the meantime, I'll hunt the wonderful deer, elk, antelope, etc. we have right here in Montana..