HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - does anyone else tend to load for max accuracy, and
Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

There is a downside of running a larger, more capable case at a level beneath its max, is the wasted powder required to do it. When I started reloading ~25yrs ago, it was still en vogue to run 30-06 loads at 30-30 levels for practice... If a guy goes all the way down to be able to use a pistol powder, sure, but if you're only going down a little, you'll end up using considerably more powder than the lower level round would have.

When I do load work up for a rifle, I look to develop an accurate load within a grain of max, sometimes closer, depending upon the cartridge. If I can't find something, either I have a bad powder choice, or poor bullet choice. Part of that work up is to find a wide window of forgiveness too. For me, a low extreme spread and low dispersion on target with small changes in powder charge are worth a lot - looking at the largest contribution for each, velocity is a powder choice, precision is a bullet choice, but consistency is a combination of both. So I want something accurate, but only if it's fast too, AND most importantly, only if it's consistent.