HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how big of a group would you settle for?
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 06:01 AM
WV Hunter
Nontypical Buck

I know a guy that can shoot offhand 1" groups at 200yds. Any deer within 250yds is dead. LOL, yeah right. I laugh every time he goes on that rant. I honestly don't think he has a clue about how much his bullet drops at 250yds.

Personally, I strive for 1" groups at 100yds. Most of my guns will do that, assuming I do my part. I don't shoot nearly as much as I used to (or would like to) so doing my part becomes harder and harder it seems. Honestly, for a hunting ML... as long as they are all under 2", I'd be ok with it... but continue to work to try and make it better. I don't think I own a rifle right now that won't do 1.5" groups or better. I haven't even dialed in my newest rifle (X7) and its already shooting just over 1" groups with the first load I tried.

Most all of my hunting shots are under 100, and I usually try to shoot from a rest if possible. Interestingly, the two deer I shot this year were both offhand, about 50-60yds. And I actually made really good shots