HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Cleaning Process
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 04:53 AM
ctom
Spike

I'll offer a couple ideas here. Unless you are using the BH209 powder, your clean-up should be done with water-based cleaners or use the very hot soapy water and pump a patch thru the bore with the muzzle submerged. If the barrel gets hot you're doing it right with the water/pumping method. Regardless, clean until a patch comes out clean. LEAVE the plug out and stand the gun aside for a couple hours so air can circulate around it to further dry and film of moisture left. After a couple hours run a patch with an oil product thru the bore giving it a good coat then store the gun with the plug out of it and don't store it in a case. Even a corner in a closet is better than a case. Leaving the plug out allows constant free flowing air, but oil the plug up after cleaning it and put it an old white sock for storage.

I take all of my guns out of storage every three or four weeks and run a oil-dampened patch down the barrels to be certain they stay protected and that nothing has had a chance to get started. I have peg-board on a wall in MY closet, and each gun's plugs are in socks hung on its own hook with a number corresponding with a number assigned to each gun so there's no mix-up.

Todays cleaners and rust inhibiting products do a super good job for you but you still have to keep an eye on things.