HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service?????
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 08:39 AM
d.winsor
Fork Horn

Default chronological order of instanses of the thread

I have this posted on another forum as an answer to a post about this thread. I will post it here to help people stop mixing up things that occurred.

Got the gun new in the box, first thing I did was to check the trigger pull it was great
Installed breech plug back in the barrel, put bolt in, nothing I did would get the bolt to close to battery
I sent the gun back to knight
they sent the gun back to me saying they had checked the bolt and everything was ok.
I checked the bolt and it worked. sometimes I would have to jerk it back but figured it would wear in
disassembled gun to clean before going to range, when done I reinstalled the breech plug and bolt would not close to battery again, I knew something was up that is when I got my socket and drive, you know the rest of that story.
I sent the gun back to knight describing how I had to turn the breech plug in with a 1/4" drive with a lot of force 3 separate times before it actually bottomed out and bolt would go to battery.
That is when they sent the gun back to me saying it was OK they had run a tap in the breech plug threads.
I had checked the trigger pull on the original trigger, it was 3+ pounds. For some reason when I got the gun back from knight, I pulled the trigger and knew something was wrong, I got my trigger lb gauge and checked it and it was 5 pounds. I knew something was wrong so I disassembled my gun and here was this POS trigger.
At that point I boxed the gun up again and sent it back to knight saying that When I screwed in the breech plug that I could feel the threads catching in the 3 spots and I didn't feel the breech plug threads in the barrel were good. I also informed them that someone had stolen my trigger assembly when my gun was in their care, and I wanted it back.
Shortly after they received the gun I got a call, I assumed it was from management, I was told they could find nothing wrong with the breech plug threads in the barrel. I asked him what about my trigger assembly being stolen and was told that the trigger assembly on my rifle was the one that it was suppose to have. My trigger assembly was rectangular and dark, looked nothing like the trigger assembly that was put on my rifle. At that point I knew that I had no warranty.
The gun was shipped back to me, I popped a W209 primer in the gun, it came out coal black, I looked up sabotloaders procedure for shimming a bare primer breech plug. I didn't really like doing it because I had had discussions with Frontieer Gander about shimming. In any event I had to shim it .020 before I could shoot a primer off with no load and have the primer come out clean, .002 crush.
Then I went to the range, after firing the breech area was dirity, primers were clean. Sounded like blowing by the breech plug threads to me. Groups were horrible. thought maybe it was the hard trigger pull. At home cleaned the gun, took out breech plug, it was sooted up. Cleaned and tried to adjust trigger pull, no matter what I did when testing pounds were all over the place.
Ordered Trigger From Numrich, got it put it on and adjusted it to 2lb 8oz tested trigger pull, a little creep and pounds varring a little, Saw something in a pitcher where the allen screw was called creep adjustment. Knight says to never adjust trigger pull below 3 pounds maybe a little higher, they say they will void your warranty, well since I didn't have a warranty I had nothing to loose. I started slowly adjusting up the trigger pull up while adjusting the allen screw in until it would fire and backed out 1/4 turn. and rechecked. It was a long process and when I got to 2 lb 13 oz, as I would check the trigger pull I didn't feel the creep anymore that is where I left it.
I took it to the range again, trigger pull was great, shot like POS, when I cleaned it at home more soot on the breech plug.
I ordered the new barrel since my warranty was toast, when I got it you know the story about the deep well sockets, I put it all together and was ready to shoot it. I read a post that said the bare primer breech plugs would only last about 100 shots, that got me to thinking I had probably bumped up there close to that. So I went to check my breech plug and It had grown .004, I replace all the breech plugs in my other guns when they get there. I got on line and GM54-120 referred me to Bestill Custimes that could make me a Breech plug. Jeff said they would last about 4 to 5 hundred rounds. That was good enough for me so I sent my muzzleloader barrel to him. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Still have not shot the new barrel yet!