HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how big of a group would you settle for?
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2017, 06:26 AM
d.winsor
Fork Horn

Default how big of a group would you settle for?

In 1984 I had a T/C renegade 1 in 48 twist. Shot the T/C Maxie and Pyrodex RS powder at first, when I switched to Pyrodex Select my groups shrunk to 2" @ 100 yards. I killed a lot of deer over the years with that gun and group. Then I don't remember why, but I tried shooting a Nosler .44 Cal 240 grain JSP with a T/C 3 piece sabot, I got consistent 1" groups @ 100 yards. I killed just as many deer. As a side note I used Bore Butter, over the years T/C replaced 3 barrels on the renegade because the group opened up to 4" @ 100. Getting the barrels replaced was like pulling teeth, but T/C came thru. But that is another story. I still have the gun and it still shoots just as good, I have a supply of the 3 piece sabots that T/C doesn't sell anymore. Since then I have moved on to inline muzzleloaders.
I have 5 inline muzzleloaders, with every one I would find a load, without a lot of range time, that would shoot 2" groups @ 100 yards. More than adequate to Kill a deer @ 100 yards consistently.
But I was spoiled with a one inch group I had out of the renegade, and I wanted it bad. I was not lucky enough to get a new out of the box that would shoot 1" to 1 1/2" groups with a load in a relatively small amount of time.
Over the years after spending a lot of money and range time, with every conceivable load variation, I scoured the forums looking for new bullets and advice all the time. I have my guns shooting my dream groups. If your guns would do it to begin with, how much time and money would you spend for the elusive 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups. As an added note, if you find the bullet you were looking for, and it turns out that for some reason it didn't have good terminal ballistics, such as not expanding all the time and penciling thru etc. It would be back to the drawing board!

Last edited by d.winsor; 12-26-2017 at 06:51 AM.