HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Knight Quality, Warranty, & Service?????
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2017, 03:56 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by d.winsor
In all honesty I have to say that any time I sent an e-mail to knight that they were very quick to send me a shipping tag to send my gun back to them to service. Obviously as you will see, that was not enough to pacify me.

I bought a Knight Mountaineer 9/9/16, I will try to keep this short. Upon receiving it I took the breech plug out, when I put it back in the bolt would not close. Sent it back to knight, they checked bolt and sent back. Again, I removed breech plug and after reinstalling bolt would not close again. Got my socket and drive and forced breech plug to turn in again until it stopped, had to do this twice more and bolt would close to battery. I sent gun back to knight and explained above. They ran a tap in the breech threads of the barrel and said it was fixed and shipped gun back to me. When I got my gun back the Remington 3 screw trigger assembly had been removed and a knight trigger assy with 5 lb pull was on my gun.
Knight has never used a Remington 3 screw trigger. in fact a
Remington trigger will not work in a Knight.

I think they removed the original Knight 3 screw trigger and replaced it with a new Timney trigger.
These are the old Knight triggers

The trigger on the right is probably the trigger you had...

If this is the trigger you now have it is a much better trigger than the older copies of the Timney

If you have the new red trigger in your rifle Knight did you a favor... it is a much better trigger than the original. It is also a 3 screw trigger. 2 of the screws a vary obvious - one on the back and one on the front. The third screw is on the front also above the first screw. If you look close you will see a very small hole that a small Allen wrench inserts in to - to adjust 'over travel' which rarely needs adjusting.

Breech plugs were still bad. I sent gun back and told them I wanted my Remington trigger assy back and the breech plugs fixed or barrel replaced. A Representative of Knight called me and told me they could see nothing wrong with the breech threads, also that the trigger assembly was the correct one for my gun, they sent the gun back. I figured that was the end of my "WARRANTY", they were not interested in the fact that someone had stolen a nice trigger assembly and put on a defective one. Ultimately, I had to buy a trigger assembly from Numrich as the one knight gave me would not hold an adjustment, never could get trigger pull below 4 lb. Then I started shooting the gun, POS. Groups all over the place could barely hold a 3-inch group at 100 yds., and that was with a new breech plug. I tried numerous bullets, sabots and powder loads, I have a CVA Accura V2 & LR, a T/C Encore Pro hunter and a Traditions Strikefire. Any of them would make the knight look sick. Since I honestly couldn't sell the gun as it was I bought a new barrel thinking I could at least salvage something of the gun. When I got the new barrel the little plunger on the side of the barrel that releases the bolt fell apart and the shaft fell into the gun. Luckily the bolt was out and I put some blue Loctite on the little threads and put it back together. Now I feel I am ready to shoot, not so fast. Someone on the forum said a knight bare primer breech plug would only get about 100 shots with 110 grains of BH. I checked my breech plug and with less than 100 shots Flash hole was toast. GM54-120 put me onto Bestill and I as I couldn't afford as many breech plugs from knight (and not wanting to support knight) as I would need, I sent my gun to Bestill. Also, I asked him to take a look at my bolt operation as it sticks when trying to pull it back so you can load another primer. A great effort is required most of the time.
Anybody want to argue with me as to if knight builds a quality gun or not. Not only is their service bad, you may not get your same gun back after they "work on it". Sorry part is management doesn't care.
Bestill could probably have built me a custom with the money I have in this gun.
In any event I am in a rage, I did have to buy a trigger assembly, a barrel & fix it, a decent breech plug and have my bolt looked at and hopefully repaired.
I gag whenever anyone says Knight makes a quality product. Nuf said.

With a great amount of luck, when I get the barrel back and am able to shoot it, maybe, just maybe the gun will be a shooter. There will be no excuses if it is not as there is nothing else to fix.
To bad you are having these problem - it is really not the norm... And you are aware if you do not put the bolt back together correctly with have point not set in the detent you will not be able to close the bolt.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-22-2017 at 04:03 PM.