HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about Coyote territories
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 03:14 PM
MissionOutdoors.net
Spike

Everything just depends on the part of the Country you're from, then even down to the specific location in which you live. There are a ton of variables when it comes to coyote and their range. For example when I am hunting them in Western Illinois at a friends place, I'll literally call in doubles or triples or nothing. I've never called in a single yote there once. Here in MN on the other hand I'll almost always call in one, with an ocassional 2nd yote, but mostly one at a time. No idea why. Then you start talking about trapping them... Same thing. I've trapped Kentucky when stationed down there and I'd almost always get 1-4 yotes a day off of a big section of land (500+ acres), often times doubles if I've got 2 traps set within 20 feet or so apart at say opposite corners of a trail crossing. Minnesota on the other hand, I'll more or less catch one at a time and almost on a cycle per property per day at times, then sometimes go a week or more. No real rhyme or reason for it.

Then you start talking dogs... I've heard of coyotes luring dogs into the woods by getting the dog to chase the one coyote only to have the rest laying in wait for an ambush. I've never seen it, but I suppose it's possible. Territorial issues is another real possibility. Coyotes don't peg dogs for being a pet, just another K9, so they do get attacked for being in the coyotes territory. I use my dogs a lot when running my trap line because my dogs (especially my German Shepherd) will pee on every single coyote pee spot in the woods. Then the coyote remarks it every time. I use my dogs to actually show me where to place my sets at times when there is no snow because I can't obviously see where a coyote is marking a spot on normal soils..

Sorry for the long reply. I'm on coyote trapping mode right now