HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about Coyote territories
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 PM
Coonplug99
Spike

Default Question about Coyote territories

So I am new to this so forgive me but I live in a house in the middle of a cornfield the closest house is about a mile away from me. A few weeks ago my dog ( 100lb great dane) was out side and I heard some barking and growling And barking coming from the yard so I ran out side yelling at it and I saw one coyote running away into the field and 2 days later the same thing happend. Then the next night I saw it snooping around my yard and I opened the window and took my 30-06 to it. After that it hasn't happened again and there is no coyote tracks like there was before like i cant find any anywhere around the house or in the fields anymore. So my question is is it possible that it was just a single coyote that considers my yard as part of it's territory and saw the dog as an intruder and tried to run it off or did it just see the dog as a big meal. I didn't think that it would go after such a large animal though as food and I thought they hunted in packs but I only saw one. Just wondering and wanted to hear some opinions form some people that have more experience with coyote and their habits.