HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Where have the deer gone?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 11:31 AM
YTCLT
Spike

My property is located among thousands of acres of woods. I have about 14 acres of fields that are all planted for deer, with a mixed variety of stuff. Most have clover, chickory and alfalfa. One field I turn every year for Oats in the fall. In all fields I seed turnips, beets and radishes between the clover/chickory/alfalfa in August. My point is there is always food available no matter the temps. Further, it’s stuff they love...but...the remaining 100 acres are hardwoods and loaded with red and white oaks. It’s the predominate tree. When the acorns are in the fields get quiet(er)...and given how prevalent the acorns are they can virtually lay down and have them dropping around them. They will eat them over everything else. Once done, the fields fill up...but the key is making sure u have crops that work all year. Clover gets crappy after a number of freezes...so does chickory. They go to the most nutritious, palatable and available source and for me my goal is to make that my place to the extent I can.