HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ethical hunting
Thread: ethical hunting
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 11:25 AM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
That would depend on where you hunt. In CO where I grew up the regs clearly state you must make every effort to recover a wounded animal. So killing one after legal shooting hours by a method other than shooting is probably covered by that requirement. It is the act of shooting AKA wounding that was hunting, not ending the suffering.

Also in TX where I now live I seriously doubt if a game warden would cite you for using a knife on a legally shot animal to end the suffering. I've met and talked to a lot of wardens down here and I just don't see that happening. I may be wrong but I don't think so.
here in PA NO law enforcement can dispatch a animal without MAYBE permission from a game warden, or they can also be fined for an illegal kill
don't laugh, Game wardens in PA have arrested cops before!
when I had both a car hit bear and a deer end up on my land, and a rabid fox and hours went by from the time I called warden(several, times and was always told ON MY WAY be there soon)
I called local cops and even a state trooper I am friends with, and a RETIRED game warden that lived a few house away from me
and all would NOT shoot any of the animals due to FEAR of actions taken by Game dept here!(and i AKSED it the warden would grant these folks permission to dispatch animal too, and they said NO, would not allow anyone but THEM to make the call, even a retired warden?)
SO< PA plays by different rules , than EVERY other state I have hunted in, about 15+ by now, as I always try to get to know local wardens every where I hunt, FOR reasons like this and others
its ONLY in PA< I have had BAD experiences too with any game wardens, sad as its my home state
never been found doing anything wrong, heck even sold hunting lic for a long time and the hassled the heck out me there too, even took me to court a few times CLAIMING I sold lic wrong, and when things went to court it was THEM who didn;t know there own rules, , the judge actually told them if they tried to take me to court AGAIN(5 yrs in a row) without a legal charge he was going to fine them!
as apparently they didn;t read there own rule book before trying to fine me and my shop!
Like I said, NOT all PA game wardens were as good as you oldtimir
I appreciate the good one's but sadly in PA< I have far too many experiences with bad one's and a clean record too boot, I take pride in that as well!