HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Never had a trail cam, want a decent one, suggestions?
Old 12-05-2017, 12:58 PM
CalHunter
Super Moderator

So far, I'm running 4 brands of game cams--Cabelas, Browning, Moultrie & Stealth Cam. I have the mid range models and purchased them from $100-$140 this year at either Cabelas or Amazon. A few are Black IR or No Glow models but most are the regular IR models which cost a little less.

I've got plenty of pictures of deer, bear, turkeys, coyotes, cattle and 1 bobcat and 1 fox. The only animals that have noticed the IR light are a few does that almost posed for their pictures. None of the animals seemed bothered by the IR light.

All of these cameras take great pictures in daylight and okay pictures at night. From what you described in your OP post, IMHO, any of these cams would work for you.

I only use Sandisk SD cards and Energizer Lithium batteries and haven't had any problems so far. All of the cams have taken over 10K pics per set of batteries and all have proven to be rain proof. A couple of tricks a Cabela's employee told me is that their cams' Low sensitivity setting is really medium (I'm now using the low setting) and to set the camera to take 3 pictures instead of 1.

Hopefully this helps you with making your decision.

Last edited by CalHunter; 12-05-2017 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Clarity