HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Clover Seed on the Ground!
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 08:07 AM
Ballistictip
Fork Horn

I don't really know of anything that would have done well under the weather conditions we had this fall. The seed was put down on bone dry ground with a forecast of 1+ inches of rain over a 3 day period. On paper it was nearly perfect but in reality we got less than a 1/4" of rain and the soil never got saturated to the point it would hold moisture for more than a day. Basically, nothing stayed moist enough to germinate the seed with the exception of a few low spots that puddled and held the moisture and dry seed will not germinate.

The current forecast is calling for 1.5" of rain next week but the next day temps will drop to lows in the 20's and only 40's for the highs. Current soil temps are in the low to mid 50's but that won't last long when the cold weather comes in. I'm afraid these seeds are doomed at least for now. I did seed a little heavier than the suggested rate so maybe enough will winter over and germinate in the spring but then we have our typical hot dry summer to likely kill that. Luckily I've only got about $70 in seed so it's not going to be a hugely expensive lesson to learn. Anyway, I'll update as things change or don't change.