HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The slug gun blues!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 06:07 AM
d80hunter
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by New York Hunter
No offense taken. Recoil doesn't bother me within reason. I've been shooting slug guns my whole deer hunting life, 26 years. The only gun that ever bothered me was my friends 1187 3 1/2" turkey gun. I shot it with 3 1/2" #2 turkey loads IIRC. That was brutal. I lost focus in my eyes for a few seconds.

However, I do believe it's a operator problem. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks, NYH1.
You should switch shotguns with those other guys at the range and keep note of the results. Two things I can add from experience.

The recoil doesn't have to physically bother you to make make you flinch. I will admit I am a little less accurate with a 12 gauge due to the recoil. It gets worse the more I shoot even though I can handle it. Lots of practice with smaller rifles, cheaper ammo and less recoil and more trigger time at the range, greatly improved my shooting ability after growing up shooting strictly shotguns.

I've had bad scope mounts, lose scope mounts, bad scopes, banged up iron sights, heavy triggers, certain ammo, drinking the night before, too much caffeine and tobacco use in different scenarios mess my groups up. Good luck figuring it out.