HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - accuracy goes away when shooting sabots
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 04:36 AM
BarnesAddict
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
IME: A burned out breech plug will ruin accuracy. One day earlier this year i fired 20 rounds of 120 grain charges through my Encore. Watched accuracy diminish with each shot.
I have a friend that was having trouble with his Encore grouping and was pretty darn upset. He was shooting the same charge and bullet he'd been shooting for years. I kept telling him to change the BP and his groups would most likely come back. Instead of paying attention, he kept fumbling with it and just goet more frustrated with a rifle he'd always relied on.
Mom (R.I.P.) always used to say, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
After his constant threating to sell the rifle, send it to me and/or his constant B&M, this last early fall he finally took my advice and installed a new BP.
LOW AND BEHOLD....... his groups immediately tightened up to normal. Imagine that!

Its not always the case, but a lot of experience tells me when you're shooting tight groups, then the groups start getting larger, especially when using the same charge and bullet, the culprit "can" be an enlarged flash hole.