HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - The slug gun blues!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 02:28 AM
alleyyooper
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Shot my hunting partners 12ga remington 870 with a hasting slug barrel and 3 inch ammo. Decided no way was I ever going to shoot a 12ga slug gun that thing knocked me silly. So I resorted to a muzzle loader and have did pretty well over the years. then one day I was cleaning out a drawer in my reloading room and came across some 20ga slugs, the old foster type.
Grabbed my model 37 with the mod choke barrel and went out back to my range. I will admit those were shot at 50 yards but I was impressed never the less. Decided I wanted a bolt slug gun and the 220 had just came out and I do believe the dealer got a whole shippment of seconds as some thing was wrong with every one I was given to look at.

Settled on a 870 Remington Slugger, counter person said he had one and it shot Remington buck hammers best in 2 3/4 size and was awful with any 3 inch load.

He explained his theroy that the 3 inch was so strong it was taking a big jump down the barrel before grabbing the rifling. Could be don't know. When remington announced the demise of the buck hammer ammo I bought every box I could find and hope I have enough to last my life time...

In retro spect to your problem I would get rid of the 12ga to start. a 20ga has plenty of what it takes to kill a deer.
Also for get the 3 inch ammo and go to to 2 3/4 inch ammo and give that a try.

. Al