HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Youth deer rifle choice
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 05:25 AM
flyinlowe
Typical Buck

Default Youth deer rifle choice

My son is enjoying sitting with me and I think next year he will be ready to try to shoot a deer himself. I am thinking about getting him a rifle for Christmas this year so we will have plenty of practice time for next season. He is 8 1/2 now so will be 9 1/2 next season. Normal size kid for his age. I have heard good things about some of the handgun loads for rifles that Indiana allows. We now allow high powered rifles as well but I don't think he is read to go that large yet. Of the rounds listed below which would you recommend for a youngster. I know I am asking to have my cake and eat it too but good knock down power with the least amount of felt recoil is my goal. He is not a frail weakling by any means but not one of those stout big kids either.

.357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.