HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Field dressing
Thread: Field dressing
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 03:53 AM
Champlain Islander
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
I started using this little trick a while back. Take the Gambrel off of one of those little light cheap Gambrel rigs you can pick up at Walmart. Just take the rope and tackle. Wrap the rope around the neck of the deer, toss other end over a limb high enough to lift the deer up off the ground by the head. If you are strong enough, you don't need the little block and tackle rig. But just remember, if you nail a 250-300 pound buck like they have around here, lifting that buck off the ground is far from easy. Having it lifted does make life easier though doing it on the ground is still easy enough. But this will help keep the inside cleaner and if the area is snowy or muddy it sure makes things cleaner. And CI's "bung out" method works very well. I thought the old man had a patent on that method CI.
I miss your dad's opinions and certainly his knowledge. He was one of a kind. The roto cram was taught to me in the early 1970's by "Burt" a salty old timer that taught me to still hunt in the big woods.