HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dead Ringer Broadheads
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 05:39 AM
Kathwacckkk
Fork Horn

A week ago Sunday I was in the stand when a basket rack 11 point came in broadside at 10 yards. Lots of points, but not a giant rack. The deer had extended neck and pulled his shoulder back to feed. I pull the pin tight behind the shoulder and released the arrow... Kathwacckkkk! The deer spun and took off with the entire arrow sticking out of the impact spot. I was amazed at the lack of penetration and listened for the comforting final crash, but nothing.

No blood at impact or along the trail of flight, even though I could follow his tracks. After a grid search, I finally found blood 150 yards away from the point of impact. Trailed this another 400 yards with pencil eraser sized drops. Deer never laid down and even slowed to a walk.

I am convinced this deer will survive. Given the position of the deer with his head extended an shoulder blades pulled back, I believe I hit the shoulder blade dead center. These broadheads have to open from front to back. Even though they are sharpened on both edges, I believe the head entered the shoulder bone and could not punch though due to the blades trying to open. Essentially, this put on the brakes. Never found the arrow. My fault for hitting the shoulder blade and not compensating for the positioning of the shoulders. This will be my target animal for the remainder of the year, but I am going back to fixed blades.