HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzy Trocar Switch
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 05:38 AM
Kathwacckkk
Fork Horn

Default Muzzy Trocar Switch

After hitting, but not killing a buck with the 2016 version of the Dead Ringer Freak Nasty (details on the reviews in this forum), I went looking for a modern fixed blade. After research, I narrowed the list down to 3. Vipertrick, Slick Trick standard or Muzzy Trocar Switch.

The 2017 Dead Ringer Freak nasty included a practice blade head that had 3, 1" blades on an offset. This practice blade hit directly with my field points. Since the configuration of the practice head mimicked the Muzzy Trocar and I could adjust the cutting diameter, I went with the switch. Plan was if the 1" flew great, I could adjust the cutting surface diameter and check the changes. I also liked the concave aerodynamic head on the Switch.

3 heads for $40 with no extra blades + tax. First impression of the head is just how small they are. I did not hesitate to screw one onto my arrow and designate it a practice head. I started with the 1" configuration. This is easily adjustable, by unscrewing the head, dropping the metal collar and pulling the blades in and out, before tightening the collar and broad head down. This 1" head hit directly with my field points back to 60 yards. It does tear up my Rhinehart target a bit more, but on par with the mechanical practice blade. I thought they were easily removable from the target, if you slightly turn the arrow counter clockwise as you are pulling it out. Downside is that I get small pieces of the target lodged between the blades on removal. A small screw driver easily cleans this out between shots, but if your in a rush, this could be a pain. I was so impressed with the accuracy of the 1" setting, I have not yet played around with the additional diameters. I will and report back.

For me these are as accurate as my field tips. Been shooting this head the past week and blades are still in great condition. Even on a shot or two where I missed judged the distance and put it in the dirt. They did exaggerate bad form more then field tips or mechanicals. I occasionally have the habit of not completing a full follow through and pull my head up at the shot to see the flight. This caused a bit of fishtail on the arrow. If I concentrated on the full shot process... perfect. Not sure how easy it will be to replace the blades, but I don't worry about reusing broadheads.

Overall, these will be in my quiver with confidence, for the remainder of the year. I will hopefully report back with some damage information soon.