HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I got a new rifle. Review included.
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2017, 07:33 AM
idahoron
Nontypical Buck

Default I got a new rifle. Review included.

I have had several break barrel guns and after being less than impressed with the accuracy of these rifles I decided to just go for it.

I got an Air Arms TX200. This rifle is a under lever spring piston rifle. This one is the MKIII model. I installed a UGT 3x12x44 compact scope on it. I recently switched to the same scope but the full length version to give more scope eye relief adjustment. These are accurate rifles, and heavy rifles tipping the scale at 10 pounds with the scope.

This rifle has an Italian Walnut stock, a German barrel, and was Built in england. The stock is a oil finish, some call the checkering a fish scale pattern. The Bluing is the quality of fine guns. It is a beautiful rifle to say the least.

The scope mount is a 11mm Dovetail but the top of the receiver has scope stop holes. I used a UGT one piece mount and rings. The mount has a screw that once adjusted will lock into the scope stop. It is a well thought out system.

The trigger is Awesome!! It is a two stage trigger with a very abrupt wall. When squeezing the trigger the first stage is light and the wall to the second stage is just solid. The second stage breaks at just over 1 pound making the gun very easy to shoot.
On that same note this rifle is not hold sensitive like some rifles I have shot. It is also not a twangy sounding rifle. It is a little louder than my Benjamin Trail NP2 but it is not loud gun at all.
For my first shooting session I shot Crosman 14.3 grain premier Domed pellets at 15 yards.
The groups were surprising. It took about 8 pellets to get on the target, then I shot this group.

My next time out I wanted to get to 30 yards with the gun. I had three pellets to test that day.
First was the Air Arms Falcon 13.4 grain domed.

The next pellet was the crosman domed 14.3 grain.

Next was the JSB Exact Jumbo Express 14.3 grain.

This rifle showed that all three pellets were very good compared to my break barrel guns. But it really showed it liked the Air Arms pellets.
That said the air arms pellets are really soft lead. The skirts are thin and the can be damaged quite easily. For me to get the group I had above I needed to "fix" the skirt on every pellet.
The crosman pellet were just shot as is. The JSB pellet is a troublesome pellet. WHile it didn't shoot bad I guess, it didn't shoot as well as the cheaper crosman.

After the testing I got a chance to test it out on some varmints. The first squirrel was a shot to the chest because his head was behind a stick.

The next day this guy shows me only his eyeball over the limb.

I needed to do some trimming on the flock size in a shed so the TX200 was used for birds too.

Well this last Monday I took the rifle out to shoot a starling. I missed! I shot at another and missed again. Well I got out a target and saw that my pellets were all over the place.
I found that my stock screws were loose. So after tightening them the rifle is back on.

The TX200 is An expensive rifle. I work in a mill for hourly wages, I am not a wealthy guy. But I wanted a gun that hits where I aim. That is what I got with the Air Arms TX200.