HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Process to find best load
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 05:36 PM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

My dad drilled into me this little note many years ago. "Son, the only thing group shooting is good for is paper and to see if you have a good barrel and form. When it comes to hunting, the only thing that matters is that very first shot." Now with that in mind, when I am setting up a rifle for hunting, be it muzzleloader or center fire, I dial it in first. Then once I have it tuned up, I start cleaning and allowing it to come to ambient temp, after every shot. I tune it to be where I want it on that first cold clean barrel shot. Now, you may have one of them picky rifles that only shoot well on a fouled barrel. I too have a couple of those. You will need to shoot a good bit to find if you have one of them. Basically, what I do at the range is clean it to where I know I will be carrying it in the field. Most of mine are spotless and that very first shot is dead bull. But those couple that I have that need a fouling shot to be accurate, they can be fouled by popping a couple of caps usually. I personally know very little about BP subs such as T7. I shoot Swiss FFG but I shoot primarily sidelocks. So leaving my rifles powder fouled for any length of time is a big no no for me. Especially in damp climates. The folks on this board have sort of gotten me interested in inlines, something the old man never accomplished so pat yourselves on the back guys, so I am in the same learning curve as you Htr2133 but the same premise applies for all rifles in my lowly opinion. When hunting, it's the first shot that counts but you still want to know where a followup shot will hit too.