HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If you could only pick one...
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 12:54 PM
softdown
Spike

My Winchester 300 Mag which is currently scope less. I banged up the last scope trying to get my little Honda 200 ATV across a stream so I could drag an elk.

Failed to notice the replacement scope is 30mm. Cabela's ring supplies were very low last week.

In spite of being voted "Jolly Green Giant" of my high school, I don't relish carrying cannons for my typical ~4 - 6 hour jaunts. Must be the shoulder strength that flags mentioned...

Shoots pretty flat and hits pretty hard. The recoil is fun when something is in the scope. Animals "tend" to flop over and quit moving. 'Cept when I miss. Running game is far, far more difficult for me.

7mm Mag is likely my second choice. Might be about first but that gun is just too purty to hunt with all the time.

The .270 with synthetic stock is easy to hunt with. Black synthetic looks like hell to me, I'm a wood guy having been a cabinet maker. Not worrying about the stock is nice at times though. Black synthetic is immensely practical.

Bullet choices? I remain unconvinced that is often of supreme importance. I don't worry too much about what load I am using. I once found my hand loaded Grand Slam bullet wedged in an elks spinal column. I could have reloaded that bullet. Perhaps a bit too sturdy? If using something less than 7mm, I would worry more about bullet construction. Of course I use bullets "made" for the game I am chasing. Though I would likely be "OK" if forced to use lead bullets....within reason.