HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choosing a rifle caliber
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2017, 07:33 AM
softdown
Spike

Clearly the answer depends on the game, the conditions, the objective, and the user. Many of us have irrevocably crossed the threshold from practicality to the "art of hunting".

With that in mind, I presently plan on a new tactical plan for 2018. Using my fluted, heavy barreled 7mm STW with 30mm 4.5-14x ballistic milling scope. Perched over a meadow yielding possible 800 yard "opportunities".

This feels a bit questionable considering my minor background in triathlons and preference for climbing up and down hillsides in the past. It is more of an adaptation than becoming "light in the head". I have moved to an area offering exclusively steep and very, very rocky terrain. It it almost impossible to hike without making far too much noise. Strained breathing is counter-productive to accuracy. It also takes far too long to catch your breath at 10,000 feet when the game somehow shows up.

Crime is the reason that I don't simply drive to better and easier areas and camp for days at a time. I built a survivalist minded 8000' structure in an area with no neighbors within a couple miles. Then the "scary's" started showing up. Living in "illegal" straw bale compounds and spending all of their money on mind altering substances. They see my place as their personal hardware store. Thus relieving me of anything of value that is not locked or bolted down. Enough on those guys unless there is further interest....

Last edited by softdown; 10-31-2017 at 08:24 AM.