HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Choosing a rifle caliber
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 09:05 AM
Jack Ryan
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by txhunter58
A SIMs recoil pad will take a 30-06 down below 15 ft lbs of felt recoil. Or a 308 down to about a 243 perceived recoil

For one who has had 2 contisone shots in my neck, recoil is a BIG issue to me. For others, not so much.
I'm with you right there. I didn't think so much until just this year. Some jumbling of the regs here in Indiana this year motivated me to get out my old 870 and unpack a dozen slugs I'd saved "for no reason". After just a couple of those my old blown out disks from my neck down to my tail bone all felt tweaked and are still sore.

On the softer side, I can get out my old garand and shoot full power 30-06 all day like it was a 22. A year ago about this time I had a family event here and let all the kids try out the "old grampa gun" and taught them all how to load and shoot it. It was actually as big a hit with the teenage girlfriends as it was with the nephews. Especially when the started hammering those steel plates way out there just like every one else, even from standing positions.