HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rifle types?
Thread: Rifle types?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 04:07 AM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mjw176
Hello there!
I have an odd question for you all. I don't have experience with hunting styles except for PA and MD whitetails. I am thinking of purchasing a new rifle for some possible out west mountain hunting. I am not understanding why some people strive for a light weight short rifle and other say the perfect hunting rifle is a Long range rifle that seem to weigh twice as much. I am looking into the standard 300 Winmag. If you were to choose one type either Lighter weight(standard) rifle or the special Long range for the money? I don't see why for hunting the extra Bull barrel and weight will make for better accuracy at long range that a one shot same caliber standard rifle will not do?
trust me, weight makes a more accurate rifle! here is my proof
I own 2 rifles, both 700 Remington's, both are turn key custom rifles, both are equipped with Lilja 9 twist 7mm barrels, both will run a 160 accubond at 3300+ fps, both will shoot in the .3" range at 100 yards. at 750 yards the rifle that weighs 14# will average 4" groups, the 8.5# rifle has not broke 8". now, I know a 14# rifle is impossible to use on most western hunts, but weight makes a difference.
RR