HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you take a pistol or not?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2017, 02:22 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
And before this turns into a spitting match with rule infractions... I can assure you all that if anybody is qualified to speak on the three topics of: defensive shooting with a pistol, physical conditioning, and mountain hunting... it's Flags...

We all have different opinions on topics like this. Feel free to disagree, but keep it respectful please.

-Jake
Sorry if I offended anyone, the situation is what upsets me, not any individual. I'm from California and they keep passing laws that just make me shake my head and say WTF. I came to the conclusion long ago that many bureaucrats sit behind their desks and dream up these unnecessary and sometimes seriously stupid regulations just to get their name on some new bill or regulation, to justify their existence. They sure don't write many of these regulations from experience.

Many of these regulations are borderline nonsensical and have way more to do with image and preconceptions than they do with reality.

Example, How in the world is putting a knife on the end of a rifle going to make it any more lethal than a rifle? Though if you were between a rock and hard place and ran out of ammo, it does beat using your rifle as a club.

Or in the case of Bocajnala's example, how is carrying a pistol going to give you any sort of an edge while hunting? IMO it is much more likely it might save your bacon some day, than give you a hunting edge.

I never used to take a pistol with me hunting until I was out with a master hunter (many decades ago) and we walked up on a severely wounded Red Deer, he lowers his rifle from about ten feet and shoots the finishing shot. That bullet went through that Red Deer, hit a rock and passed within inches of my head. Since then I've carried a pistol with soft nose bullets.

And as far as the extra weight goes, one of my Boots weighs more than a pistol does. There are many lite weight boots available, I'm older than dirt and still wear the heavy boots. I've had a rock fall half up my foot and break bones, I've broken an ankle. I'll make the sacrifice of a little extra weight for the additional safety.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 10-22-2017 at 02:25 AM.