HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BIG Power Line Right of Way
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 10:56 AM
WVDanimal
Spike

Will be sitting on the exact same type of power line before day break in the morning with my 8 yr. old daughter for youth doe day. The power line is actually one of the reasons I bought the place because of the hunting potential. I've learned that the deer aren't stupid and know where to cross the powerline so that they are not in view from a road. I have a tower blind on the highest point over looking a steep hollow which isn't visible from the road. We take deer on this line crossing every year, including my wife's best ever a few years ago. Turkeys love the openings to strut around in come spring. This major powerline is basically the only opening PERIOD in a block of nearly 20 thousand acres of thick private hardwoods so the critters appreciate it. They only cut/mow the r.o.w. every 5 years or so and in the mean time, I benefit from the gallons of raspberries that grow in the open light. Planted chestnut trees just off the r.o.w. this spring and plan on doing a food plot on the flat by the tower blind next spring. The downsides, reduced real estate value (and property taxes though), the lines reap havoc on cell phone batteries for some reason and drain mine without using it in a morning sit, and the static that makes it to the ground is nearly unbelievable! Leave a metal object lay under the line for a few minutes then hold your hand about 1/16" from it and get a small jolt. Can't be good for ya right? But there are million dollar homes built right on the edge of this line in places and they apparently have no issues with interference. I love the spot where my property is but don't think I would ever build there because of the line. Oh, and if they ever annex (take whether you like it or not) another wider r.o.w. against the existing line, they compensate you very very well for the r.o.w. but accordingly so...... It happened here and many people received many more times what they paid for the property and it's still theirs, just with another power line running through it. People tried to fight it but "the man" always wins and it went through regardless.