HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ballistics?
Thread: Ballistics?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 03:47 PM
softdown
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
I would not hesitate to hunt 99% of the game on earth with a 30-06. While the 300 Win may give you a little extra velocity and slightly flatter trajectory, at hunting ranges on game neither are really relevant. The inch or two in trajectory doesn't matter when your target is between 8 inches and a foot in diameter which the vital area on big game is and a bullet from a 30-06 in the vitals equates to a dead game animal.

Do as you wish but there is a reason the 30-06 is so popular in the world. It works. Period.
Yes....it works quite well as does the .308 etc. When a rifle is manufactured for military applications, that pretty much guarantees a lot of popularity. People are prone to stick with the familiar and the rounds become affordable and easy to find.

Changing subjects a bit here....rifle weight can become a large consideration. I'm an XL guy and never considered the weight of my 338/378 Weatherby. I'll be darned, it feels like I am carrying a cannon after hours of walking at 9-10,000 feet.

That is why I often carry my 300 Mag, I don't notice the weight near as much. Recoil? If anything, recoil adds to the excitement when shooting.

We are all entitled to our opinion of course. Mine is that the .338 Mag may be the "ideal" elk load....all things considered.

We all know that shot placement is where it is. But the perfect shot opportunity may prove elusive.