HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about a new gun
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 04:27 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Strut&Rut
JW -

What's the effective killing range of your combo? Did you harvest any of those birds past 40 yards?

My son and I tested multiple loads out of his Weatherby SA-20. The Hevi-shot Triple Beard gave us the densest pattern at 40 yards. However, we both misjudged the distance this Spring and he rolled a big strutter at 46 steps - the bird went down hard, and I thought he had finally notched his first tag, but there wasn't enough power and he lost the bird.

I think that the Triple Beard density at 40 yds was mostly 7 shot, which couldn't get the job done on a big ole' Tom. Using hindsight I'm kicking myself, because his gun-coke combo had a slightly weaker pattern with Win XX Magnum #5 but likely has more effective killing power due to the larger shot (straight 5 vs TB).

We knew that under 40 yds was the ideal range, but losing a bird because you misjudge 10 yards is tough to swallow. It also doesn't leaves any room for error in judging distance when hunting inside the timber - simple shadows on the ground can make judging 5 yd increments challenging...
With the 1187 it is a 55 yard gun easy. Misjudged a few and altho they didn't get away I taught myself to range better.

That 870' youth. She is good to thirty five easy.
But we seem to be taking our birds at 20 or less.
It's just the way I hunt.

Sorry for the very late teply

JW