HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .260 Rem for Canadian Bull Moose
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Ridge Runner
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WoodsQuest
Won't shot placement contribute more than the slight differences between a .264 and .284 bullet moving a few hundred feet per second different from each other? I read about people choosing a more powerful cartridge so they can take more difficult shots to fill a tag, but aren't we running into an ethics question at that point? Really, what kind of difference will a 7Mag have over a .260/7-08 within reasonable hunting ranges? Seems like more blast, recoil and few hundred more fps of velocity. I don't understand why someone would want a magnum for normal hunting ranges.

What I'm trying to say is- if a bullet design and weight is capable of providing necessary penetration and expansion, what good does it do to drive the bullet a few hundred fps faster when it is still impacting within it's expansion/penetration velocity window when fired from a non-magnum cartridge?
cause it expends more energy on the animal, causing more shock, more trauma, more disorientation slowing the animal down. if you ever used a ultra high velocity on ig game you would see the difference, my 7mm stw is devastating on game, having shot deer with the 7mm JDJ, the 7mm-08, the 280, the 7 mag, the 7 stw and a 7mm Allen Magnum, the difference in the animals reactions are plain as day, faster bullets kill faster, no doubt about it. Have had deer make it out of sight a lot with the '08, couple with the 7 mag, none with the stw, ever had one go over 8' with the 7mm AM, that's 54 deer shot from 307 to 1350 yards with the 7mm AM. I'm here to tell ya, speed kills
RR