HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Second and third attempts at Semisane's no-till food plot method
Old 10-08-2017, 06:28 PM
mrbb
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
I had a soil test done a few years ago and limed/fertilized accordingly, so the soil should still be in pretty decent shape. True, I didn't it this time, but to me there's not much point in doing all that until I get the no-till planting technique perfected. In any case, I've had some good success in the past even with no lime/fertilizer applied prior to planting.
soil can loose a LOT of PH in 1 yr never mind many years?
a soil test cost 10 bucks?
lime takes time to adjust and lime Only works when particle's of lime make contact with particles of soil?
just dumping lime on TOP of the soil takes even longer for it to leach its way into the soil
NOT doing a soil test is one of the most common mistakes in doing food plots and also the biggest waste of money to NOT do
as all that time work, and money spent on seed and fert and GUESSING lime, can all go to waste with a poor or NO take on the plantings

second mistake is NOT taking a soil test correctly, or from enough area's on the fields to be planted!

as for NOT wishing to do a soil test till you have things perfected
?? that is , sorry backwards thinking, as a soil test again costs so little

HOW are you going to judge things when the TAKE of your planted seeds will vary based on the condition of the soil when you seed it?
I mean, if you get a poor take., are you going to blame your planting technique
, when it could just be poor soil , missing things to make things grow you planted

HOW will you know

planting things ain't really rocket science when your planting for wildlife
soil needs to be at "X" PH, each seed has a requirement of what it takes to strive and do well!
all this can be told by a soil test and telling the testing folks what seed your trying to grow
and they will tell you exactly what to add to your soil
THEN pray for rain and sun LOL

many folks can just turn ground over and throw seeds and GET some take and be happy

but if your spending the time and money, why not do the best you can and get the best result you can
10 bucks a soil test its just silly to skip it!

here you can get it for $7.50

https://www.plantbiologic.com/t-soil.aspx