HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Two distinct groups with the same load - what's happening?
Old 10-07-2017, 05:19 AM
Berserker
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
I will group shots with a clean barrel, and then have POI move after 3 or 4th shot.

More rounds, just to make sure you don't have some outlyers. Even with lead sled it can happen.

Not sure if you need to do 30-50. But I would fire some more. Letting barrel cool 10 minutes between shots, if you want the most accuracy. Fire a 10-20, and see what it looks like.

Another option, is to try another load or bullet.

If loaded the same, I don't believe it is actually producint 2 groups. You just got 2 bullets near each other, out of 5. Shoot some more.

I also say to watch how you are grabbing the trigger. Square your finger with it. Make sure not pulling it to one side. Again, I notice this more in handguns. But same idea.

Speaking from my bowels, I think seating depth is a different discussion.

Clean barrel. shoot 3 rounds. Then shoot 10 or more and see what you got. I like to number mine, more so for fouling shots, and as things get dirty.

You don't think clean barrels fire different? I have had groups that moved.

You don't think you should pull the trigger square?

You don't think trying another bullet or load is good?

You don't think practice is good?

Originally Posted by Berserker
I was reading Lyman 47th. Different approach to test hunting loads. Fire 4 shots kinda quick. Cool down. Then put target over old, and do it 10 more times or so. This is more extreme then what I do. But the idea is to learn what your hunting rifle and load will do.

Take it up with Lyman. Bt they have been in business a long time. I do get what they are saying. Which shoot, shoot, and shoot. THey cover one target over the over to look at a large sample.

I don't have the patience. But I definitely think it would tell you a lot about your gun, load, and skil. The flyers would show up.

I have never shot 4 times at an animal. Only once have I fired a 2nd shot, because snow was 4 feet deep and slowed him down. But I get the idea of firing 2 or 3 to see what your rifle will do in real world conditions.

When checking loads I wait 10 minutes between shots or so, but I am looking for accuracy in the load, not the rifle.

An intelligent man can debate things. A fool just says you are wrong.