HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Going Back
Thread: Going Back
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 07:53 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I actually enjoy small game and varmint hunting more than I do Deer hunting. I've come to the conclusion Deer are stupid. I put one in the freezer every year, but I'm sure not a Deer hunting snob. I had a spike Buck try to climb into my Jeep one day, with my dog asleep in the back.

A whole lot of other game I enjoy hunting much more. Rabbits and Hare are my favorites, Dove and Pheasant a close second. I like the fast action and multiple tries a day.

The Hogs and Fox around here can get really canny, hunting at it's best. You not only have to out skulk them, you have to out think them. They get 3-4 years old and they can get really cagey. I've actually had to change up my routine because the Fox had figured it out. Change my prime hunting hours, set up really unlikely ambushes and get really unpredictable to get some of them. The stupid ones usually die young.

I've never had any real issues with tanning hides. The hard part to learn for me was to learn how to skin them properly. A guy that was good at it had to show me more than once and it took some practice. One of the best skinners I know is a 65 year old, little old lady school teacher, who does mounts as a hobby.