HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Boot Insulation Question/Recomendations
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Mickey Finn
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cj11b
Hey all,
I am looking for a pair of hunting boots. I will be hunting in northern NM and the temp ranges are pretty wide... ~15 degrees to 70 is what I'm hearing. I have a decent pair of summer boots so I am more concerned with the colder temps. How many grams of insulation would be recommended? I used Danner's while I was in the army and was happy with them, but I would be open to recommendations of other brands as well.
Thanks for any help/input!
Well it depends a lot on you and how you are hunting. If you are walking mostly you may get buy with your Danner's and good socks. Maybe even a pair of liners. Gaiters will help keep your feet warm as well. If you are sitting in below 40 degree weather than I'd suggest pac style boots rated for -100 degrees. I know that sounds extreme but the testing is odd and that is the minimum for comfort while sitting. If you are hiking in then sitting for a long time then maybe a pair of boot blankets carried in your pack would be better. Cabela's sells these.

Good luck!