HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who has hunted Big Bears
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 04:45 PM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

He used to. He also had the same misfortune as I of having to kill 2 that were intent on ripping him apart. I believe he took 5 or 6 actually hunting them. A couple of them he used his favorite .30-06 and the others I believe he used one of his .300wm rifles. He never was a fan of magnum rifles. But he always said "when you are after something that would just as soon kill you as look at you, there aint no such thing as too much gun". I think he actually took one with one of his .500NE doubles. I was just a little guy when he quit hunting bears of all kinds so it's a bit hard to recall. He didn't really like bear meat all that much, neither did I, but some of our family really enjoyed it so he hunted them primarily for them. Same for me when I hunted black bears. When we moved to PA, none of them were around so we didn't hunt them anymore. Neither one of us were ever much for trophies. I have a few whitetail and elk mounts, one whitetail right next to the back door that I use for a hat rack. Hung it there after dad passed and we moved in to his house for mom. Cracked her up when I hung old bucky there with 12 hats hanging off him.