HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A *Rant* on tracking deer
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 08:54 AM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

When archery hunting, my general rule of thumb is to wait till my heartbeat gets back to under 80 and I am over the adrenaline rush. This accomplishes 2 things, one it gives the deer time to lay down and expire, second, and more important to me anyway, it is much safer climbing down from a stand when you are calm than all jacked up right after a good shot. With archery equipment, I never go for the heart, always go for double lung. The spray you get is much easier to follow and usually you get the trail much more quickly than waiting for the cavity to fill to your exit hole. And of the many archery deer I have taken over the years, it seems to me that the deer tend to lay down much quicker with a double lung shot with a good broadhead. One of the longest well hit deer I have ever had to track was one that was quartered away a good bit and I took out the on side lung and the top of the heart. That deer ran over 400 yards before it even thought about laying down. Luckily I watched the first 200 yards as it was a big open field it ran across. Not a single drop of blood past the exit of the arrow till around 150 yards. Then it was a pretty good trail. You just never know how a deer will react to being run through with an arrow. I've seen well hit deer go lay down within my eyesight. I've seen poorly hit deer do the same thing. And I've seen the opposite from both. Generally though, if it is a kill shot, 90% of the time a well hit whitetail won't go very far before laying down, but there is always that 10% that you have to worry about. So waiting a good 30 minutes won't ever hurt you.