HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Small Game Gun
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 06:10 AM
Wolven
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Your list of animals in pretty broad and would normally dictate more than 1 caliber for optimum performance. There are compromises you could make on caliber but it would help to know a few more things so you get the best advice from everybody listed above.

First, are you planning on reloading? If so, you can tailor the loads some to getter hotter loads or reduced power loads. If not, you want to pick a caliber in the middle of the pack so to speak so you are not badly over gunned on some of the smaller animals.

Out of your list of animals, which ones will you be shooting primarily (as in the main animals you shoot) and which ones will just be a target of opportunity if you happen to run across one (probably rarely). Assessing your list of animals like that would help you a lot in choosing a single caliber that does well for the animals you shoot the most and okay or marginal for the ones you shoot the least.

What distances do you think you'll be shooting at? Longer distances need a hotter round.

Your profile says East Coast so people don't know which state you're going to be hunting in. Different states have different hunting regulations about using bait or not, calling animals, habitat, hunting at night, etc. If you don't want to list your state, can you at least state what are the laws for the animals you want to hunt and anticipated hunting conditions? That would help a lot also.

These are a lot of questions but each one brings up something you're going to have to account for one way or another. The people who have responded to you have a tremendous amount of experience and wisdom and, most importantly, are willing to share it with you and help you make the best game plan. The more info you can share with them, the better they can tailor their recommendations for you. Hopefully this helps you get the best rifle for your hunting.
My primary prey are foxes and bobcats. I will be putting out corn for groundhogs too, and shooting if they happen to show up. Groundhogs are open season, no bag limit here. Foxes and bobcats lie under furbearer blanket where I live, and I have a furbearer permit. Beavers, coons, and coyotes are also furs. I'll shoot beavers if I see them (which'll be pretty rare, even though I live on a river) and coons and coyotes if I happen to call them in while calling for cats or foxes. I've been thinking .22 Mag. Do you agree with the .22 Mag? I think it'd be the best middle ground choice for all these, and, hopefully not bust up the lil' whistle pigs and beavers too bad.