HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dead Ringer Freak Nasty version 2017
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Kathwacckkk
Fork Horn

Default Dead Ringer Freak Nasty version 2017

Last year in this forum I reviewed the Dead Ringer FreakNasty broadhead. Although I still have two of these mechanicals left in the quiver, I realized they have changed the design substantially. This design change rendered my review obsolete and I therefore felt compelled to review the 2017 Dead Ringer Freak Nasty for the group. This is not the Extreme which has the longer blades. I was intrigued by the new design as the leading edges are sharpened like last year, but the mechanical configuration only opens to 1-3/4”. I think many of the mechanicals are simply too large a cutting path for the KE and wonder if the smaller diameter will increase penetration.

Setup: 70lbs Bowtech Extreme VFT tuned using walk back method to60 yards, IQ 5 pin micro sight, Limbdriver Pro V rest, Victory Elite VAP 350arrows

Overview: The Dead RingerFreak Nasty is considered a hybrid broadhead as it can be shot as a 1” fixed ora 1-3/4” mechanical. This mechanical broadhead has sharpened leading edges and is 1” inflight. The fixed blade configuration uses the blackcollar and holds the blades in the closed position. Mechanical uses the white collar and has small slots cut on the inside of the collar allowing the blades to break free of the collar and expand upon impact. No O-rings. Collars are changed by unscrewing the tip and replacing the collar while the blades are closed. The package comes with 3 white collars, 3 black collars and a practice head with a black collar. Weights of the broadheads were consistent between 100.3 grains to 101.10 grains using the white collars. The black fixed collars brought this weightup about to around 102.1 grains. The practicehead is fully functional, but has the black fixed collar. It is not sharpened, but weighed around 104grains.

Accuracy: I startedright out at 30 yards with the practice head and perfect bullseye. I then proceed to shoot ranges from 15 yards back 50 yards and everything grouped exactly with my fieldtips. You do not get a lot of penetration with thepractice head, but it does tear up your Rhinehart target with the blunt blades.

Initial Thoughts:
I am a big fan of practiceheads. I like the practice head and it is built to the same dimensions as the actual broadhead. This was close enough to my field points thatI was slapping arrows at all yardages and began picking different aiming points so as not to damage my arrows. Accuracyfor me is #1 and I have great confidence in putting the hunting heads on thearrows after shooting the practice head. I did pick up a slight hiss in the air compared to my field points fromthe practice head. The practice head wouldalso double as a great small game head.

Collars: If your hunting travels brings you to areas where regulations allow fixed only on some hunts, but allow mechanicals on others, I guess I see the appeal. Especially with the practice head added in. However, this would not be my #1 choice for a straight fixed blade head.I also have questions about the white collars. When the blades break through the white collar and expand, the collar is shot. You will have to order more collars (and probably blades) in order to shoot the head again, as spares are not included in the package. I am unsure about the breaking strength of these collars, but what happens if you catch the broadhead on some brush while stalking and it pops a blade? Collar is then toast and you have not even fired the arrow. I could also hear a small rattling when I shook the broadhead in my hand with the white collar tightened down. This sound disappeared with the black fixed collar, but was noticeable when I went back to the white. The collars are small and I can easily see them getting lost if you are not careful.

Hoping to get some actual performance reports out starting first week of October.

Last edited by Kathwacckkk; 09-22-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Formatting