HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Small Game Gun
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 AM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

I exaggerated a bit with the 2" bullet drop, it really depends on which range you zero at, the FPS of your bullet and the weight of the bullet.

Your going to need knobs (turrets) to zero your scope. But it is unlikely you will need to fiddle with them much, after you zero it.

Decide what are the longer ranges you are likely to be shooting at.

And your list has a pretty broad range of animals by weight and size. I wouldn't count on a 22 LR taking some of them down unless you are a very good shot and close. Anything you choose is going to be a compromise.

My .222 shoots pretty flat out to around 200 yards. The Hornet out to around 150. Just a rough calculation. The .223 with the same bullet weight as the Hornet 40 grn, will push it a thousand feet per second faster than a Hornet, rough calculation. My .222 is about in the middle for bullet velocity.

Rockport seems to know his scopes pretty good, better than I do. I use high end glass and won't be a lot of help.

One reason I mentioned Hare, they are a little bigger than Ground Hogs and a little smaller than Coons (average) and my .222 is a little too much gun for them about half the time.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-22-2017 at 04:54 AM.