HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New Small Game Gun
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 08:13 PM
MudderChuck
Nontypical Buck

It is hard to find it all in one package. You may want to consider ammo cost, ammo availability and the number of bullet types offered in a caliber. .223 is by far the winner in bullet types available. The hornet is going to be the cheapest.

And whether you want a bolt action or a semi. 22 Hornet is going to be hard to find in a semi.

The 22 Hornet would be a good choice.

Unless you are going to be doing a lot of long range shooting, all of the above are only going to drop a couple of inches +/- at two hundred yards. Making a ballistic scope kind of unnecessary. A ballistic scope with a ranging knob is usually calculated for a specific bullet anyway. I have one on one of my scopes, I'v never used it.

My dream small game/varmint rifle is a Styer Pro Hunter in .222 or .223. Cost about a hundred more than a model 70 type rifle. But IMO the most bang for the buck all things considered. I've looked, very few used to be found, the reason being those who have one rarely sell them.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, a mediocre rifle with good glass is going to shoot better than a mediocre glass on a good rifle. Most rifles shoot straighter than a shooter does anyway. Good glass will pick out those shots better than a mediocre glass will. The majority of my shots are low light, early morning or evening.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-21-2017 at 08:29 PM.