HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best .243 Rounds for Pelts
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Wolven
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Pretty bad, bullet went in face first and exited the right shoulder. I wouldn't do it again. I was kind of glad it was early summer and not something I'd want to mount anyway. My guide said later, another one bites the dust and thank you. Lynx for them is like Yotes for us.

Alleyyooper had a good suggestion. Sounds like it works out for him. Loading them down sounds like a good idea. IMO a lot of the real damage is from the hydrostatic shock and not the bullet itself, exempting bullets that fragment easy. I've gut shot a few Fox and Yotes, something about the stomach contents of a meat eater gags me up pretty bad.

I'd use a Deer bullet, Core Lokt or Accubond and hopefully you don't catch a bone wrong and it holds together. I have no idea how the interlock 100 grn .243 SPBT Deer loads perform, sometimes it is just trial and error.

Most of my Fox shots are bang flop and little damage done. I am careful of my shot, I like to catch them mouse hunting broad side. Though I have been lucky and shot a few head on and not done much damage.

Hard to tell sometimes what you have for a pelt, they get soaking wet early morning hunting mice in the tall grass. You don't really know what you have until you dry them out and brush them.
Okay--tysm for all the advice.