HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Party Hunting....thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 12:01 PM
kellyguinn
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
In Wisconsin this has been used for many years as a DNR tool--It helps reduce herds in certain area,s . Example--there are many area,s of private farmland that only gets hunted by landowner , many times these landowners get together to make deer drives in a more efficient way to reduce herd numbers and deer damage. This is one example---it also is a fun way to hunt together as a group and enjoy the camaraderie . If it ever has had a bad impact I am sure it would have been dicontinued

Granted I mainly hunt public land but I hate the guys that do the drives while I am trying to harvest a deer. It ruins the "normal" hunting for quite a while. Just doing a drive however is not the same as party hunting. I could keep the population of my herd in check with normal still hunting and not checking someone elses deer under my tag. I could see how the DNR could use it as a setting the overall quota for an area however by issuing 10 total tags for a property instead of the normal 2 tags per person lets say. Since the landowner might bring in 20 folks which would be 40 tags. If they would issue it by property and put a limit on how many per person as well I might be up for that instead. I just don't like the idea of one person shooting deer and the other tagging it. And I also don't like the idea of drives with or without dogs. If it is legal I will support it but I just don't like it lol Might be cause that kind of hunting especially with dogs is not allowed here so I have not been brought up around it.