HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best .243 Rounds for Pelts
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Wolven
Spike

Question Best .243 Rounds for Pelts

I have a .243 rifle and that's it. No, I can't buy myself a .22 or an airgun. So, with this in mind, what are the best .243 cartridges that will drop any of these animals without ruining their pelts? I tan them. (I can sew up a hole up to 1-3in. wide, but usually nothing worse than that.) Preferably I'd like a cartridge that will produce no exit hole, or one as small as possible.
Also, if the cartridge you suggest won't work on all of these animals, let me know which ones it won't work on and why.
  • Fox
  • Groundhog
  • Bobcat
  • Coyote
  • Raccoon
Where should I aim on these animals? Head or vitals? If you answer this part say why you chose either head or vitals. (Or another shot if you want to suggest something not head, heart, or lungs.) I'm not an amazing shot so head isn't preferable but if I have to take it and it's the only way not to ruin the pelt I'll practice and take it.
Finally, where are the vitals on all of these animals? And can I take a frontal shot to kill the animal or does it have to be broadside? I'm a deer hunter so a little inexperienced with this. I have called animals (Dogg Catcher e-caller) to see which ones respond to it (all of the ones listed except groundhog, which responds to a corn pile), but not shot at them yet.

Thank you!