HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hawks
Thread: Hawks
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Wolven
Spike

Question Hawks

THIS THREAD IS OVER. It was a stupid idea.

Hey everyone! First post here. I have a .243 rifle. The problem is I also have a lot of hawks and some chickens.
By state law, I can kill a hawk if it is attacking my chickens. I will pay the fine if I must, it's less expensive than my chickens, even though I shouldn't have to because of livestock damage laws.
So, my questions are:
1. I'm a decent shot from about 100 yards inward. I would use a hollow point that's made for wide wound channels so I could be a few inches off and still hit. With the target knob on my scope set to exactly the distance that I ranged the bird at, would I hit the bird if I was on the ground shooting upwards (not directly up of course, but forward and a little up) and it was in a tree (decently low branch) readying itself to kill my chickens? If not, how should I adjust my shooting to be able to hit it? Should I stick a target in a tree and practice?
2. If I hit it off target (rear end, or too high, or too low, etc) with the .243 expanding would it still drop right there--or at least die that day?
3. If I put a hole through the wing or both wings can it still fly away and die where I can't track it? I'll want to bury it so no one finds it with a hole and thinks I poached it.
4. Can I take a frontal shot? How about a back shot? Is broadside doable?
5. Where are the vitals on a hawk?
6. Will the .243 completely blow away the hawk, or will it mostly be in one piece?

We're talking Cooper's, Ferruginous, Red-Tailed, and Red-Shouldered.
Please don't give me "that's illegal" comments. I have already dealt with that. Just answer the questions to the best of your ability

Last edited by Wolven; 09-25-2017 at 06:13 AM.