HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - rifle recomendations
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 04:04 PM
Berserker
Typical Buck

I have two savages, not a fan. Not rifle I would use on big game, that I cared about. Bolt passed over rounds a bit. Maybe I didn't lock the mag in well enough. But I don't want a rifle I have to pay that much attention to.

While accu trigger is nice, every on low lb triggers these day. Spend some time on the savage forum, and they will debate the trigger being pulled before safety, and ftf. They will say you should pay attention. Yes, but, again I don't want a rifle I have to worry about.

One I got with blind magazine, has had dented primers on factory and handloaded. I took the bolt apart and cleaned. So far so good. But it only did it every 100 or so rounds, so takes alot to build confidence in it. Bough used, 2009, not alot of use maybe, gummed up. But many people go their life without dissaembling bolts.

But Savages are popular. Just not with me.

I would go to the store, shoulder a bunch see what feels good. Then go read up on it.

As for caliber pick something you can afford ammo and find it. 30-06 is very common. 30 win mag is common, 7mm mag. 308 is too. Myself I would go 30-06 and up. Who knows when you will get the chance again, don't want to wait for perfect shot on last day.

Of light calibrs, people will say anything will do it with proper shot. True. But if you are limited by using an existing rifle, why go small? Providing you have shot bigger rifles before, and handle them.