HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Newbie hunter, looks for tips for first successful season
Old 09-06-2017, 05:13 AM
fiddypal
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I wouldn't not know what to say to someone who is a new hunter that thinks Hunter Education is a joke. There are several hunter education instructors on this site and I used to be a hunter education instructor for over 30 years.
I say that because its the truth for me, not everyone. 99% of the material was gun safety, which i am already up to snuff on as i had to take pretty much the exact same class for my licence to carry. For someone with considerable firearms and outdoors experience it will be very boring.

While there WAS some useful material in the class, it could have easily been condensed down into a 1 day affair, i think i had to do 3 8-hour days to complete the class. If I already took the required training to carry a gun, i should not have to repeat 2 days of gun safety classes. It's a shame the education classes are not better adapted for more experienced people trying to get into hunting, they really seem to be geared towards kids and people who have never picked up a firearm.