HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Explain this, .45-70
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 11:24 PM
Bocajnala
Super Moderator

Default Explain this, .45-70

Ok, mounted a Bushnell Elite 3500 on my marlin 1895. This will be my primary deer rifle for Ohio now since straight walled cartridges were legalized...

Shot it in today. Started out with the leverevolution 325gr.

First, I took two shots at 25 yards to see where I was at. They were touching, and inch low. Good, this should be easy.

Moved back to 100 yards and shot a 3 shot group. Nice group. 9" low. Adjusted scope up 10"

This group was right where I wanted it and about 1.5". Pretty happy with that.

Then I shot groups with two other brands of ammo. All hit within 3" of each other. I was happy with that as well. Then I shot a 6" steel gong I have hanging up. It's fun shooting steel with the .45-70.

Alright, now for the question...

Rememember, there was about an 8" difference between my first 2 shots at 25 yards, and my first 100 yard group. So, I went back to 25 yards, and shot three more shots to see where I was hitting up close.

All shots were touching, about an inch below center... So, what happened to that 8" between the first 25 yards and the first 100 yards?

This rifle is shooting good, and handles nice. I think I'll really enjoy hunting with it this year. Just wondering what happened to that 8" I adjusted for.

-Jake