HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .260 Rem for Canadian Bull Moose
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 11:22 AM
hunters_life
Typical Buck

The type of area you will be hunting will be in question also. Open or closed in and heavily covered for range limitations. If the longest shot you will have will be 100 yards, then the .260 would be fine. Many Moose have been taken with the little .30/30, the old man took quite a few himself with one. But his favorite rifle to take on a Bull hunt was his trusty .30/06 loaded up with 220 grain round nosed hammer of the gods he called it. As you said though, shot angles and options will come into play. If all you have presented to you on the last day of your hunt is a quartering to you shot on the point of the shoulder, you will want a cartridge and bullet with enough power to bust through. I myself have only Moose hunted a few times. That was more the old man's passion than mine. But I always used my .300 win mag pushing the same bullet the old man used. 220 grain RN Hornady Interlock. The .260 would be a very minimal cartridge in my opinion and would limit not only your shot options/target area, but also your range.