HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 5. What is better to get, a Hoyt or Mathews bow?
Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 AM
Bible_Man
Nontypical Buck

Any of them will work just fine. None of the main companies are putting out junk these days. Also, many of the more recent bows are made with adjustable cams so that you can change the draw length without the need of a bowpress...pretty convenient. After yet another shoulder injury, I have had to give up on anything other than a handicapped model (read: crossbow), but the last bow that I shot was a Bear Anarchy HC, and I loved it. I had narrowed my list by researching (when I say researching, I mean actually shooting about 15 different bows) down to the Bear, and an Elite Energy 35. I really liked them about equally, and couldn't tell much of a difference between them. I liked several of the bows that I shot, but these two were a little longer axle-to-axle, which I like, and shot like a dream. I ended up being able to buy the Bear for a little less money, so I went with it. Put several deer down with it before the shoulder got cut on again.

Moral of the story, as others have mentioned, make sure you get a good dose of "real-world" research done...go shoot a bunch of them and see what feels the best to you. They all work just fine.

And, definitely consider the used route. There's a slew of people that just have to buy a new bow every year for some reason, and you can buy their old ones at a heavily discounted price.